Progressive Railroading

Newsletter Sign Up
Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


View Current Digital Issue »


RAIL EMPLOYMENT



Rail News Home Safety

4/3/2018



Rail News: Safety

Indiana DOT to offer $125 million in grants for rail crossing safety projects


advertisement

The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) announced the availability of $125 million for "high-priority" railroad safety projects through the agency's new Local Trax matching grant program.

Local Trax provides state matching funds for Indiana cities, towns and counties interested in pursuing grade separations, crossing closures and other safety enhancements at railroad intersections with local roads.

INDOT will accept local agencies' project proposals from May through August. Local Trax requires local governments to provide 20 percent of funding for land acquisition and construction; the state will provide the other 80 percent.

"Eliminating at-grade rail crossings on local roads makes our transportation network safer, reduces congestion, and better connects our communities," said Gov. Eric Holcomb in a press release.

INDOT will hold meetings around the state this month to answer questions about the new program. Funding for Local Trax was included in the state's long-term road funding legislation that Holcomb signed in April 2017.



Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.

More News from 4/3/2018