Progressive Railroading

Newsletter Sign Up
Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


View Current Digital Issue »


RAIL EMPLOYMENT & NOTICES



Rail News Home Positive Train Control

8/20/2020



Rail News: Positive Train Control

LIRR, Metro-North advance PTC implementation


Metro-North has implemented wayside PTC operability on its entire system east of the Hudson River.
Photo – Metro-North Railroad

advertisement

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) yesterday announced major progress on implementing positive train control (PTC) on MTA Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and MTA Metro-North Railroad lines. 

The progress reaffirms both New York railroads will be in full PTC operations by the end-of-2020 federally mandated deadline, MTA officials said in a press release. 

Metro-North recently implemented wayside PTC operability on its entire system east of the Hudson River, including the New Haven Line from Greenwich to New Haven, Connecticut.

All Metro-North’s diesel trains, as well as its electric trains on the Harlem and Hudson lines, are operating in PTC. Technicians are bringing PTC software to the New Haven Line’s M8 electric cars, which will enable New Haven Line trains to enter PTC operations in October, MTA officials said.

Meanwhile, all LIRR cars now have the equipment and software to operate in PTC. Technicians are continuing to review performance and perform quality checks on a train by train basis to ensure that all trains are operating in PTC by the end of the year.

The LIRR has brought full PTC functionality to 94 percent of its track mileage. The remaining 6 percent is within areas of switching complexes at Jamaica Station and at Harold Interlocking, a complex of switches in Sunnyside, Queens, where LIRR meets Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor tracks for the connection to New York Penn Station. 



Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.

More News from 8/20/2020