Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry
- Short Lines & Regionals
- Passenger Rail
- Legislative & Reg.
- Rail Industry Trends
- Supplier Spotlight
- High Speed Rail
Rail News: Passenger Rail
NYC Transit completes station expansion project
MTA New York City Transit (NYCT) reopened the southern mezzanine of the Metropolitan Av-Lorimer Street station complex last week after capacity improvements were made as part of the L train tunnel repair project, agency officials announced in a press release.
The station expansion included:
- two reopened station entrances, each with a newly refurbished stairway;
- six reopened platform stairways;
- refurbished stairways with new handrails, stair treads, railings;
- one new platform stairway to the expanded northern mezzanine area;
- a refurbished southern station mezzanine area;
- an expanded fare control area with new turnstiles, emergency gates, digital signage and fare card machines; and
- new paint, lighting, station signage and customer information areas.
The project was completed in six months.
Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.
More News from 3/12/2019
Trump budget slashes funding for Amtrak long-distance service »