Progressive Railroading


Newsletter Sign Up
Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry

All fields are required.

Rail News Home Maintenance Of Way


Rail News: Maintenance Of Way

Wisconsin & Southern putting last touches on $17 million project

Later this year, Wisconsin & Southern Railroad L.L.C. (WSOR) plans to complete a $17 million trackwork project between Madison and Milton, Wis. The work includes installing 30,000 new ties, upgrading 21 public grade crossings and installing 32 miles of continuous-welded rail in Madison, McFarland, Stoughton, Edgerton and Milton.

A 2007 train derailment in Fulton is the major driver of the rail upgrade, WSOR officials said in a prepared statement. Since the derailment, trains had been restricted to speeds between 10 and 25 mph. But on Jan. 10, an ultrasonic test of all newly installed rail showed no defects, so the restrictions will be removed and train speeds will increase to 49 mph between Madison and Milton, WSOR officials said.

“Speed restrictions in certain areas will remain in place until further improvements such as bridge repairs can be made,” they said.

A Wisconsin Department of Transportation grant will cover 80 percent of project costs. The remaining 20 percent will be funded by WSOR and the Wisconsin River Rail Transit Commission. The rail corridor between Milton and Madison is publicly owned by the state of Wisconsin and transit commission.

Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.

More News from 1/24/2012