Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry
- Short Lines & Regionals
- Passenger Rail
- Legislative & Reg.
- Rail Industry Trends
- Supplier Spotlight
- High Speed Rail
Rail News: Internet/Digital
MTA solicits proposals for L Line tunnel wireless service
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) last week issued a request for proposals to build and operate broadband wireless connectivity infrastructure in MTA New York City Transit’s (NYCT) subway tunnel under the East River.
The infrastructure would allow NYCT riders to use phones and other devices between 1st Avenue and Bedford Avenue on the L Line, making it the first under-river tunnel in the subway system to receive full connectivity, MTA officials said in a press release.
Proposals are due Jan. 13.
Meanwhile, MTA Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) announced it has completed 25 major projects in 2019, including 14 station enhancement and upgrade projects, six bridge replacements or rehabilitations and two grade crossing eliminations.
In 2020, LIRR will:
- install elevators at Floral Park Station;
- widen the Plainfield Avenue Bridge and Meadowbrook Parkway Bridge;
- replace Glen Cove Road Bridge;
- make station enhancements at Merillon Avenue Station and New Hyde Park Station;
- eliminate grade crossings at Willis Avenue, New Hyde Park Road and School Street; and
- construct a parking garage in Westbury.
Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.