Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry
- Short Lines & Regionals
- Passenger Rail
- Legislative & Reg.
- Rail Industry Trends
- Supplier Spotlight
- High Speed Rail
Rail News: Federal Legislation & Regulation
FRA publishes highway-rail crossing inventory reporting rule
A response to a Rail Safety Improvement Act of 2008 mandate, the regulation requires railroads to submit information to the crossing inventory for previously unreported highway-rail and pathway crossings and newly established crossings. Railroads also must update the inventory at least every three years.
Among the rule requirements:
• Railroads must submit data for previously unreported highway-rail and pathway crossings no later than March 7, 2016.
• Railroads must submit data for new highway-rail and pathway crossings no later than six months after the crossing becomes operational, or no later than March 7, 2016 — whichever occurs later.
• Railroads are required to update existing crossing data in the crossing inventory at least every three years.
• Railroads are required to report the sale of a crossing to the crossing inventory within three months of the sale date.
• Railroads are required to report the closure of a highway-way or pathway crossing to the crossing inventory within three months.
• Class Is are required to electronically submit crossing data to the crossing inventory; all others may submit crossing data either electronically or in hard copy.
Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.