Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry
- Short Lines & Regionals
- Passenger Rail
- Legislative & Reg.
- Rail Industry Trends
- Supplier Spotlight
- High Speed Rail
Rail News: CSX Transportation
CSX charts social responsibility efforts in annual report
CSX Corp. yesterday unveiled its fifth annual corporate social responsibility report, "Moving Forward," which highlights the Class I's business performance, employee empowerment, environmental sustainability and community investment efforts in 2014.
CSX Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Michael Ward said last year was one of the most "dynamic" in the company's nearly 190-year history.
"This report is about our work to meet the needs of our various stakeholders and our plan to continuing anticipating the demands of tomorrow," he said in a press release.
According to the report, CSX in 2014:
• achieved record fuel efficiency, with the ability to move one ton of freight 483 miles on one gallon of fuel;
• integrated sustainable development practices into its new intermodal terminals in Winter Haven, Fla., and Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Quebec;
• invested $18 million in grants and in-kind donations to nonprofit organizations;
• announced 107 projects that call for building or expanding facilities on its network, which are expected to generate 5,800 local jobs;
• added 27 percent of new employees with military experience;
• doubled hiring in the year's second half; and
• completed 1.6 million hours of employee training.
The railroad prepared its report in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability and Reporting Guidelines. GRI is a reporting framework for environmental, social and government performance.
Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.