Media Kit » Try RailPrime™ Today! »
Progressive Railroading
Newsletter Sign Up
Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

View Current Digital Issue »


Rail News Home Safety


Rail News: Safety

Indiana DOT awards Local Trax rail grants for crossing projects


The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) yesterday announced the award of $121 million in one-time state matching funds for grade crossing safety improvements through the department's Local Trax Rail Overpass grant program.

Launched earlier this year, Local Trax provides funds for Indiana cities, towns and counties to competitively pursue high-priority grade separations, crossing closures and other safety enhancements at railroad intersections with local roads, state officials said in a press release.

"Improving high-traffic rail crossings makes our communities safer, creates opportunities for economic development and boosts quality of life," said INDOT Commissioner Joe McGuinness.

As required under the program, local governments provide 20 percent of funding for land acquisition and construction; the state provides the other 80 percent. INDOT will fund and manage design and environmental work, as well as provide project management through design, delivery, contract letting, construction and inspection.

Beyond state and local government funding, Norfolk Southern Railway, CSX and CN are providing a combined $10 million toward the cost of crossing projects that involve their railroads.

"Through the Local Trax program, community leaders, the state and railroad companies come together as financial partners to improve aging railroad infrastructure throughout Indiana," said McGuinness.

Indiana Railway Coalition President David Hall added: "Our participation in Local Trax represents our commitment to safe rail operations and being good corporate neighbors in the communities where we operate."

Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.

More News from 12/14/2018