This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google
Terms of Service apply.
Union Pacific Railroad announced its second-quarter progress in implementing positive train control (PTC) on its network.The Class I's efforts during the quarter included preparing 27 additional track segments for PTC operations, bringing the total track segments to 104, or 56 percent completed. Those 27 segments are equipped with wayside devices and have defined GPS coordinates, which identify thousands of precise locations for systemwide PTC coordination, UP officials said in a press release.Also in Q2, the railroad educated more than 3,400 employees on PTC operations, bringing the total to 16,000 employees — or 40 percent — trained in PTC operations. Additionally, UP increased by 1,900 the number of route miles in PTC operation, bringing the total number to 5,864 (34 percent) route miles. The Class I also announced:• 74 percent of required locomotives and 87 percent of required radio towers are equipped with PTC technology;• The Federal Railroad Administration approved UP's PTC safety plan in April; and • UP acquired the necessary spectrum to support PTC operations.Through June 30, the railroad has installed 97 percent of required route miles with PTC signal hardware; partially installed PTC hardware on 94 percent of its locomotives earmarked for the technology; equipped 3,193 locomotives with PTC hardware and software; and installed 98 percent of wayside antennas to support PTC along right of way.UP expects to spend $300 million on PTC this year toward the current total cost of $2.9 billion.In December 2015, Congress extended its original PTC deadline of Dec. 31, 2015, to the end of 2018. Under certain circumstances, railroads may seek a deadline extension to 2020.