Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry
- Short Lines & Regionals
- Passenger Rail
- Legislative & Reg.
- Rail Industry Trends
- Supplier Spotlight
- High Speed Rail
Rail News: Mechanical
Metra issues RFP for 200 new rail cars
Metra yesterday issued a request for proposals for at least 200 new rail cars, with the option to buy up to 400 if funding is available.
According to a press release, Metra officials are seeking rail-car designs featuring:
- increased seating capacity, since yard space and platform lengths currently limit the number and length of trains;
- interior design that creates efficient passenger flow;
- seats with arm rests and cup holders;
- bike racks for two to five bikes;
- a camera or DVR system for the passenger area;
- LED lighting; and
- onboard Wi-Fi.
Optional proposal features include USB ports, foot rests, tray tables and heated floors.
Metra will allow manufacturers to propose alternative car designs that may better address its needs than the bi-level gallery cars that have been used in Chicago for nearly 70 years.
Some alternative car designs, for example, offer lower boarding to accommodate ADA needs and families with strollers, or different side-loading door configurations that could potentially decrease boarding time.
Proposals are due in August. Metra officials hope to finalize a deal by year’s end.
Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.