Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry
- Short Lines & Regionals
- Passenger Rail
- Legislative & Reg.
- Rail Industry Trends
- Supplier Spotlight
- High Speed Rail
Rail News: Intermodal
IANA: Intermodal volumes up 4.7 percent in Q3
Total intermodal volumes rose 4.7 percent to 4.8 million units in the third quarter compared with the same period last year, the Intermodal Association of North America (IANA) reported yesterday.
International intermodal volume increased 4.4 percent year over year to 2.5 million containers; domestic containers climbed 3.9 percent to 2 million units; and trailers jumped 12.1 percent to 359,850 units, according to IANA's quarterly "Intermodal Market Trends & Statistics" report.
"We saw some trail off in growth during the third quarter, relative to the first half of the year, but intermodal's market expansion was still respectable," said IANA President and Chief Executive Officer Joni Casey in a press release. "Trailers again performed especially well at the margins. The industry is in a strong position going into the fourth quarter."
Also in IANA's Q3 report:
• The seven highest-density trade corridors, which accounted for 62.4 percent of total volumes, were collectively up 3.9 percent;
• The intra-Southeast performed the best of the seven with volumes gaining 12 percent;
• Midwest-Northwest, Northeast-Midwest, and South Central-Southwest lanes had growth of 8.4 percent, 7.7 percent and 6.6 percent respectively;
• The trans-Canada and Southeast-Southwest recorded losses on international performance of 1.1 percent and 3.7 percent; and
• The Midwest-Southwest eked out 0.2 percent growth.
Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.
More News from 11/1/2018
NTSB: Ethanol train derailment underscores need for safe tank cars »