• Yesterday, Louisville Railcar broke ground on a $1.3 million rail-car repair facility near a transload center in Louisville, Miss. The project, which will include repair, paint and welding facilities, will create 30 new jobs, Louisville Railcar officials said in a prepared statement. The facility will be built on a site formerly owned by Richton Tie and Timber Co. The city of Louisville purchased the property last year to create the transload facility so area industries could load and unload goods transported by Kansas City Southern.
• RailComm has been selected to provide a wireless remote control derail system for Indiana Rail Road Co.’s facility in Jasonville, Ind. The power derails will be remotely controlled by two control panels located at each end of the shop. The panels will feature LED indicators to show the current position of the derail device and push buttons to apply and remove the derails. RailComm’s 2.4 GHz Spread Spectrum RADiANT™ data radios will be used to establish wireless communications networks to link the derail and control panel locations.
• Judi Meyerhoeffer, whose resumé includes a long-time stint as executive director of the Railway Engineering Maintenance Suppliers Association, has formed HandsOn Meetings and Events L.L.C. The company, which has expertise in all areas of event planning and execution, will provide exhibition management and production services, Meyerhoeffer said.
Browse articles on Alstom on Progressive Railroading
- Raise fares or cut service or ...? More 'new normal' considerations for transit agencies
- For the rail finance and leasing sector, a promising year ahead
- Q4 2011: All in all, it's just another brick in the 'renaissance' wall
- Ridership: For transit agencies, the 'operate and they will come' mantra is giving way to a marketing-based approach
- Building the brand that is passenger-rail service; Surface talk about transportation bills — by Pat Foran (Context February 2012)
- Positive train control: FRA expects to ramp up PTC regulatory efforts as railroads amp up implementation work
- Maintenance of way: Vegetation management/weed control
- Rail car leasing: 'Same old, same old' as the new paradigm — by Toby Kolstad
- Capital ideas: Progressive Railroading's 2012 Finance & Leasing Guide
- Rail industry data and trends from Progressive Railroading February 2012
- Transit agencies jointly tackle leadership succession planning