Siemens equipped the Beijing Subway's new Line 10 and onboard equipment for 84 trains with its Trainguard MT train protection system. At about 35 miles, Line 10 is now the world's longest metro line equipped with communication-based train control, according to a Siemens press release. Line 10 began operating in December.
Ansaldo STS, a consortium partner of Consorzio Saturno, obtained a contract valued at $107 million from the Italian Railway Network for part of the technological work on a high-speed rail line under construction between stations in Treviglio and Brescia. Ansaldo will be responsible for designing, building, installing and implementing the signaling (Level 2 ERTMS/ETCS and multi-station) and automation installations on the line, as well as the electrical substations, parallel positions and some data management installations for electrical traction and air conditioning. Also, Ansaldo will oversee the air conditioning, ventilation and heating installations for the new technological buildings.
PowerRail Distribution has marked its 10th anniversary. The AAR M-1003 quality company offers a line of locomotive parts and components, including True Blue™ remanufactured unit exchange components. PowerRail maintains manufacturing and distribution facilities throughout North America.
John McAslan + Partners' King's Cross Station Redevelopment project in London won a 2012 Inspired Award from Bentley Systems Inc. The project was recognized in the "innovation in building" category, which honors projects that use advanced technology to help deliver high-quality buildings in terms of aesthetics, program adherence, environmental sustainability, operational performance, compliance with regulation and accreditation, and a return on investment, according to a Bentley press release. The station redevelopment project — which transformed the historic facility into a modern transportation interchange point — involved the restoration of the facade and vaulted train shed.
Browse articles on CalAmp on Progressive Railroading
- Operation Lifesaver Inc. starts new chapter with Joyce Rose at the helm
- Crude oil and intermodal will drive rail traffic for BNSF over the long term
- Metrolink's DePallo plans to build on progress, develop long-term strategy
- RailTrends 2012 represented a full deconstruction of the North American rail industry — by Tony Hatch
- CREATE update: Grade crossing upgrades, separations and closures
- TriMet's Portland-Milwaukie project will add vital link to southeast destinations
- Union Pacific opens information technology center in Austin
- Marcellus and Utica shale drilling keeps railroads busy
- Carload Express creates Ohio short line to tap two eastern shales
- Grade crossing safety: Freight and passenger railroads take a multi-pronged approach
- High-speed rail is on a slower, but steady, track: HNTB
- Material handling and distribution equipment update
- Santa Clara VTA aims for succession planning success with IT department pilot