The facility will be designed to handle 210,000 barrels of crude oil per day. The project will enable Mercuria Energy Trading to source crude from various origination locations, including Cushing, Okla., west Texas, the Bakken Shale area and western Canada. Crude will be delivered by rail into the Houston ship channel for distribution to various refiners via pipeline and barges.
The facility will be capable of unloading and loading up to three unit trains per day of crude oil and condensate, as well as feature up to 100,000 barrels per day of barge loading capacity, KMP officials said in a press release. KW Express will own 85 percent of the project and work with Watco to construct and operate the facility. Mercuria Energy Trading will own the remaining 15 percent stake.
"This will be the first major crude-by-rail destination facility in the Houston area with the ability to deliver into the largest refining complex in the world," said Kinder Morgan Terminals President John Schlosser.
Watco's Greens Port Industrial Park is located on 655 acres in the heart of the Houston ship channel in Harris County, Texas. Greens Port is served by the Port Terminal Railroad, which interchanges with BNSF Railway Co., Kansas City Southern and Union Pacific Railroad.
Browse articles on Kinder Morgan Energy Partners on Progressive Railroading
- Commuter-rail service from Providence to Boston gives a transit-oriented development its
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What are the key issues in 2013?
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What has been the biggest change during the past 10 years? What will the next big change be?
- How the 2012 election results could shape rail industry issues
- Amtrak, California High Speed Rail Authority partner to buy new trains
- Association makes big contributions to small railroad industry over the past century
- Q4 2012 review: Signs that 2013 will be one terrific bridge year for the rails- analysis by Tony Hatch
- Progressive Railroading's 2013 Finance & Leasing Guide - Preface
- Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Equipment Providers/Equipment Management Services - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Finance Companies - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Investment Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Lessors - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Professional Services/Consulting - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Oil boom will sustain the economy, rail-car leasing sector in 2013 - by Toby Kolstad
- How track work components in the 'special' category are holding up to heavier loads
- Railroads should use their strong safety culture as a foundation for improving service and productivity (commentary)
- New rail-car rule in Canada eyes emerging technologies