Pirzynski, a Town of Los Gatos, Calif., council member, has been involved in VTA policy making for the past decade, VTA officials said in a prepared statement. He served as the board's vice chairman in 2012. He also has served on the council's Policy Advisory Committee and the Ad-Hoc Financial Stability Committee.
VTA faces "exciting opportunities" in 2013, Pirzynski said.
"As our valley grows, so too does the demand on VTA to satisfy the needs of the traveling public," he said. "We have stepped up to meet that demand through careful planning, maintenance and review of the services and projects we provide."
Kalra, a San Jose City Council member, has served on VTA's board since 2009. He also will chair the VTA Administration and Finance Committee this year.
Browse articles on Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority on Progressive Railroading
- Operation Lifesaver Inc. starts new chapter with Joyce Rose at the helm
- Crude oil and intermodal will drive rail traffic for BNSF over the long term
- Metrolink's DePallo plans to build on progress, develop long-term strategy
- RailTrends 2012 represented a full deconstruction of the North American rail industry — by Tony Hatch
- CREATE update: Grade crossing upgrades, separations and closures
- TriMet's Portland-Milwaukie project will add vital link to southeast destinations
- Union Pacific opens information technology center in Austin
- Marcellus and Utica shale drilling keeps railroads busy
- Carload Express creates Ohio short line to tap two eastern shales
- Grade crossing safety: Freight and passenger railroads take a multi-pronged approach
- High-speed rail is on a slower, but steady, track: HNTB
- Material handling and distribution equipment update
- Santa Clara VTA aims for succession planning success with IT department pilot