Yesterday, a Sacramento County Superior Court Judge dismissed a lawsuit that was filed five years ago as part of an effort to block California's high-speed rail line from running along the Caltrain corridor.
The judge's ruling means that the state proved it was legally correct when it decided, in December 2007, that the high-speed rail network would run up the Pacheco Pass from the Central Valley, according to a Feb. 28 report on MercuryNews.com. The state was sued by opponents of that route, including environmental groups and some Peninsula cities that preferred an alternative route.
In a prepared statement, California High-Speed Rail Authority officials said the court's ruling affirms that the authority complied with the environmental review requirements in the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
"This is an important ruling and is testament to the fact that the authority is committed to delivering the high-speed rail project in accordance with the law and in partnership with the public," said Jeff Morales, the authority's chief executive officer. "We continue to move forward to start construction this summer and create thousands of jobs in California."
Earlier this year, two other CEQA lawsuits against the authority were settled, officials said.
Browse articles on Caltrain on Progressive Railroading