The decision directs TRRC to file supplemental information related to the transportation merits, sets a new procedural schedule for the parties' submissions on the merits and requires TRRC to publish new newspaper notices consistent with the decision. The due date for comments in support of, or opposition to, TRRC's application is March 1, 2013, and the due date for TRRC's reply comments is April 15, 2013. A Federal Register notice of the STB's decision to accept or reject the application is anticipated on or about Jan. 9, 2013.
TRRC plans to construct and operate an 83-mile line between Miles City, Mont., and two ending points, one near the site of a previously planned Montco mine near Ashland, Mont., and the other at the proposed Otter Creek mine in an area east of Ashland. The line's owners include BNSF Railway Co. and Arch Coal Inc.
Browse articles on Surface Transportation Board on Progressive Railroading
- Railroad safety, rail service the onus of Norfolk Southern's new dual-purpose committees
- Norfolk Southern seeks to improve railroad safety by cultivating a new safety culture
- A new safety culture at Norfolk Southern; RailTrends rescheduled
- Financial reports from Class I railroads in third quarter show resilience in the face of weak markets, soft economy
- Railroads tackle major bridge projects to replace worn-out structures, speed up trains and improve access to rail service
- Railroads rely on lightning protection equipment to protect increasingly sensitive wayside electronics
- Lift systems help railroads service and repair assets
- U.S. infrastructure spending a hot topic for analysis; plus, freight rail traffic data
- Santa, holiday trains deliver cheer, charity