The ranking means CSX is recognized by prominent asset managers as being a "socially responsible investment" through an analysis of various social and environmental criteria, according to the Dividend Channel.
Environmental criteria include the environmental impact of the company's products and services, as well as its efficiency in using energy and resources. Social criteria include human rights, child labor, corporate diversity and impacts on society, such as business activities tied to weapons, gambling, tobacco and alcohol.
The top-ranked companies on the Dividend Channel's list are Intel Corp. at No. 1, Microsoft Corp. at No. 2, Bristol-Myers Squibb C. at No. 3, McDonald's Corp. at No. 4 and PepsiCo Inc. at No. 5.
Browse articles on CSX on Progressive Railroading
- Operation Lifesaver Inc. starts new chapter with Joyce Rose at the helm
- Crude oil and intermodal will drive rail traffic for BNSF over the long term
- Metrolink's DePallo plans to build on progress, develop long-term strategy
- RailTrends 2012 represented a full deconstruction of the North American rail industry — by Tony Hatch
- CREATE update: Grade crossing upgrades, separations and closures
- TriMet's Portland-Milwaukie project will add vital link to southeast destinations
- Union Pacific opens information technology center in Austin
- Marcellus and Utica shale drilling keeps railroads busy
- Carload Express creates Ohio short line to tap two eastern shales
- Grade crossing safety: Freight and passenger railroads take a multi-pronged approach
- High-speed rail is on a slower, but steady, track: HNTB
- Material handling and distribution equipment update
- Santa Clara VTA aims for succession planning success with IT department pilot