PUCO previously approved plans by CSX Transportation and the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway Co. to install flashing lights and gates at three grade crossings in Perry Township, and Stark and Union counties, with all work to be completed by July 2013.
Late last month, the commission also directed CSXT and the Columbus & Ohio River Railroad to upgrade six other crossings by June 2013. CSXT will install mast-mounted flashing lights and roadway gates at two crossings in Lockland and Troy, and the Columbus & Ohio River Railroad will install mast-mounted flashing lights and roadway gates at four crossings in Guernsey and Licking counties.
Funding for all 10 projects will be covered by federal dollars.
Browse articles on Public Utilities Commission of Ohio on Progressive Railroading
- Railroad safety, rail service the onus of Norfolk Southern's new dual-purpose committees
- Norfolk Southern seeks to improve railroad safety by cultivating a new safety culture
- A new safety culture at Norfolk Southern; RailTrends rescheduled
- Financial reports from Class I railroads in third quarter show resilience in the face of weak markets, soft economy
- Railroads tackle major bridge projects to replace worn-out structures, speed up trains and improve access to rail service
- Railroads rely on lightning protection equipment to protect increasingly sensitive wayside electronics
- Lift systems help railroads service and repair assets
- U.S. infrastructure spending a hot topic for analysis; plus, freight rail traffic data
- Santa, holiday trains deliver cheer, charity