The award recognizes individuals who "through perseverance and moral integrity" have succeeded despite personal and professional obstacles, association officials said in an award announcement. Award recipients are inducted as lifelong members of the Horatio Alger Association.
The award is named after Horatio Alger Jr., a 19th Century author best known for his novels about impoverished boys and their rise from humble backgrounds to lives of middle-class security and comfort through hard work, determination and courage.
Rose was 41 when he became CEO of BNSF in 2000. Since then, he has led the Class I to steady revenue and earnings growth, culminating in the sale of the railroad to Berkshire Hathaway Inc. in 2010.
Other 2013 award winners include U.S. Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Thomas Donohue; American Red Cross Chairman Bonnie McElveen-Hunter, who is owner and CEO of Pace Communications; and Richard Slocum, the retired head football coach at Texas A&M University who serves as a special adviser to the university's president. The winners will be honored at the 66th Horatio Alger Awards anniversary celebration to be held April 4-6 in Washington, D.C.
Browse articles on BNSF on Progressive Railroading
- Commuter-rail service from Providence to Boston gives a transit-oriented development its
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What are the key issues in 2013?
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What has been the biggest change during the past 10 years? What will the next big change be?
- How the 2012 election results could shape rail industry issues
- Amtrak, California High Speed Rail Authority partner to buy new trains
- Association makes big contributions to small railroad industry over the past century
- Q4 2012 review: Signs that 2013 will be one terrific bridge year for the rails- analysis by Tony Hatch
- Progressive Railroading's 2013 Finance & Leasing Guide - Preface
- Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Equipment Providers/Equipment Management Services - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Finance Companies - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Investment Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Lessors - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Professional Services/Consulting - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Oil boom will sustain the economy, rail-car leasing sector in 2013 - by Toby Kolstad
- How track work components in the 'special' category are holding up to heavier loads
- Railroads should use their strong safety culture as a foundation for improving service and productivity (commentary)
- New rail-car rule in Canada eyes emerging technologies