Media Kit » Try RailPrime™ Today! »
Progressive Railroading
Newsletter Sign Up
Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

View Current Digital Issue »


Rail News Home Rail Industry Trends


Rail News: Rail Industry Trends

Updates from Harsco, GATX, Siemens and WiFi Rail


• Harsco Corp. has appointed Richard A. Sullivan vice president of business transformation. He will lead the company’s enterprise-wide initiatives for continuous improvement and global process change. Sullivan has more than 20 years of senior management experience in planning and leading continuous-improvement programs, including lean enterprise/six sigma initiatives.

• GATX Corp. appointed Anne Arvia as an independent director on the company’s board. Currently president and chief executive officer of Nationwide Bank, she previously was president and CEO of ShoreBank. Arvia joined Shore Bank in 1991 as assistant controller and was named chief financial officer in 1998.

• Siemens AG reported a 7 percent increase in revenue in the first quarter of fiscal-year 2009, which ended Dec. 31. Orders continued to exceed revenue, but declined 8 percent compared with the record high reached in first-quarter FY08. In Germany, orders rose 12 percent on the strength of a large high-speed train order obtained by the Mobility Division, Siemens said. Total sectors profit rose 20 percent.

• WiFi Rail Inc. obtained a 20-year contract from Bay Area Rapid Transit to provide high-speed mobile Wi-Fi service throughout the transit system and on all passenger trains. WiFi Rail previously installed a demonstration network on 2.2 miles of BART’s Hayward test track and in the four downtown San Francisco stations. During a year of testing, more than 15,000 registered users accessed the WiFi system more than 85,000 times, including live streaming video from trains.

Contact Progressive Railroading editorial staff.

More News from 2/2/2009