<< Rail Magazine Articles Home
Passenger Rail ArticlePassenger Rail
Union Depot's $243 million restoration completed in St. Paul
The Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority
(RCRRA) on Friday marked the completion of a $243 million restoration project at the Union Depot train station in St. Paul, Minn.
The authority also marked the return of transportation services to the 90-year-old iconic structure, which hasn't been open to the public since the last train served the station in 1971, RCRRA officials said in a prepared statement.
buses began arriving and departing from the station on Friday; in early 2013, Jefferson Regional Bus Lines will move its terminus there, and later in 2013, Amtrak
trains will begin serving the facility. In 2014, Central Corridor Light Rail, known as the Green Line, will launch service at the depot, as well.
The project entailed rebuilding the train deck and tracks; constructing a new multilevel passenger drop-off entrance with ticket and baggage counters; repainting and restoring plaster in the waiting room and head house; reconstructing he carriage way; and returning the Fourth Street entrance to its original design.
In summer, RCRRA contracted retail management company Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) to manage Union Depot operations and lease commercial retail space. JLL currently operates historic train stations in Chicago, New York City and Washington, D.C.
Browse articles on Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority on Progressive Railroading
- Amtrak service to Norfolk will provide a much-needed option for Northeast Corridor travelers, Virginia rail department says
- Class I railroads' outlook for 2013 is a smidgen on the optimistic side
- MAP-21 gives transit execs some certainty in 2013
- Rail outlook 2013; reading the rail-car order barometer (Pat Foran, Context, December 2012)
- For Norfolk Southern, a new intermodal initiative is paying off in shorter trains and efficiency gains
- Amtrak reorganization outlined during House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee hearing
- Tracy DeLeon, League of Railway Industry Women's 2012 'woman of the year,' talks career success
- Positive train control a tall order for short line railroads
- U.S. locomotive order activity has slowed, but demand for GenSets is up for some motive power manufacturers
- Rail-car deliveries to drop to 47,000 in 2013 — by Toby Kolstad
- Track inspection equipment and services update
- Domestic container volume up in 3Q, IANA says; plus, freight rail traffic data
- Railroad Contractor Case Studies (advertorial)
Progressive Railroading editorial staff.