Graham Contracting Ltd. submitted the proposal, which will be evaluated for merit by agency staff as required under an unsolicited proposals policy, RTD officials said in a prepared statement.
If the proposal has merit, the agency will pursue a competitive procurement process and release a request for proposals consistent with RTD's policy and a previous announcement to release an RFP later this year.
Last month, RTD officials announced the agency would release an RFP later in 2013 to build the North Metro line by refinancing some of the agency's debt, issuing new sales tax bonds and using available local funds. Whether through the initial plan or unsolicited proposals, the agency will release an RFP for North Metro this year, RTD officials said.
The North Metro project involves the construction of an 18.4-mile electrified commuter-rail line that will connect Denver and Adams County by serving Commerce City, Northglenn and Thornton.
"We've been encouraging the industry to think outside the box and invest in our projects to get them done sooner rather than later, and this is yet another example of how the market is speaking," said RTD General Manager Phil Washington.
In March 2012, Kiewit Infrastructure Co. submitted an unsolicited proposal for the I-225 rail project, and, after a competitive process, was awarded the contract to design and build the line by the end of 2015.
FasTracks calls for building 122 miles of commuter- and light-rail lines, and 18 miles of bus rapid transit service, adding 21,000 new parking spaces and redeveloping Denver Union Station.
Browse articles on Regional Transportation District on Progressive Railroading
- Commuter-rail service from Providence to Boston gives a transit-oriented development its
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What are the key issues in 2013?
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What has been the biggest change during the past 10 years? What will the next big change be?
- How the 2012 election results could shape rail industry issues
- Amtrak, California High Speed Rail Authority partner to buy new trains
- Association makes big contributions to small railroad industry over the past century
- Q4 2012 review: Signs that 2013 will be one terrific bridge year for the rails- analysis by Tony Hatch
- Progressive Railroading's 2013 Finance & Leasing Guide - Preface
- Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Equipment Providers/Equipment Management Services - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Finance Companies - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Investment Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Lessors - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Professional Services/Consulting - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Oil boom will sustain the economy, rail-car leasing sector in 2013 - by Toby Kolstad
- How track work components in the 'special' category are holding up to heavier loads
- Railroads should use their strong safety culture as a foundation for improving service and productivity (commentary)
- New rail-car rule in Canada eyes emerging technologies