<< Rail Magazine Articles Home
Norfolk Southern Railway Article
Norfolk Southern to launch more intermodal services along Crescent Corridor
Norfolk Southern Railway
On Jan. 20, Norfolk Southern Railway
plans to inaugurate domestic intermodal service at the Birmingham Regional Intermodal Facility near Birmingham, Ala., and open the Franklin County Regional Intermodal Facility in Greencastle, Pa.
The Class I will offer intermodal service for domestic containers and trailers at the Birmingham facility, with service to and from the Northeast. NS also will provide service to and from Dallas and Mexico with Kansas City Southern
Located off Interstate 81 between Chambersburg, Pa., and Hagerstown, Md., the Greencastle facility will offer service to and from Birmingham and Rossville, Tenn., and to and from Dallas and Mexico with KCS.
The new services at the two terminals are a major component of NS' Crescent Corridor
, a $2.5 billion, 2,500-mile intermodal route between major markets in the Northeast and Southeast. The corridor represents the largest expansion of NS' intermodal service in more than a decade.
Browse articles on Norfolk Southern on Progressive Railroading
- Amtrak service to Norfolk will provide a much-needed option for Northeast Corridor travelers, Virginia rail department says
- Class I railroads' outlook for 2013 is a smidgen on the optimistic side
- MAP-21 gives transit execs some certainty in 2013
- Rail outlook 2013; reading the rail-car order barometer (Pat Foran, Context, December 2012)
- For Norfolk Southern, a new intermodal initiative is paying off in shorter trains and efficiency gains
- Amtrak reorganization outlined during House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee hearing
- Tracy DeLeon, League of Railway Industry Women's 2012 'woman of the year,' talks career success
- Positive train control a tall order for short line railroads
- U.S. locomotive order activity has slowed, but demand for GenSets is up for some motive power manufacturers
- Rail-car deliveries to drop to 47,000 in 2013 — by Toby Kolstad
- Track inspection equipment and services update
- Domestic container volume up in 3Q, IANA says; plus, freight rail traffic data
- Railroad Contractor Case Studies (advertorial)
Progressive Railroading editorial staff.