Car deliveries in 4Q dropped slightly to 11,815 units versus 3Q's 12,346, per ARCI data. Deliveries previously totaled 17,927, 16,816 and 16,693 units in second-quarter 2012, first-quarter 2012 and fourth-quarter 2011, respectively.
ARCI also reported that the rail-car backlog as of Dec. 31 stood at 60,244 units compared with 61,400 on Oct. 1, 2012, 58,674 on July 1, 2012, and 60,191 on April 1, 2012.
Browse articles on rail cars on Progressive Railroading
- Operation Lifesaver Inc. starts new chapter with Joyce Rose at the helm
- Crude oil and intermodal will drive rail traffic for BNSF over the long term
- Metrolink's DePallo plans to build on progress, develop long-term strategy
- RailTrends 2012 represented a full deconstruction of the North American rail industry — by Tony Hatch
- CREATE update: Grade crossing upgrades, separations and closures
- TriMet's Portland-Milwaukie project will add vital link to southeast destinations
- Union Pacific opens information technology center in Austin
- Marcellus and Utica shale drilling keeps railroads busy
- Carload Express creates Ohio short line to tap two eastern shales
- Grade crossing safety: Freight and passenger railroads take a multi-pronged approach
- High-speed rail is on a slower, but steady, track: HNTB
- Material handling and distribution equipment update
- Santa Clara VTA aims for succession planning success with IT department pilot