Albacor established operations in Canada and the United States in 1998, expanded to Europe in 2003 and most recently acquired eight operating locations in Russia.
The acquisition will expand BNSF Logistics' North American presence, as well as establish its first foray into new markets necessary to serve certain North American clients, said BNSF Logistics President Ray Greer in a prepared statement.
The deal also positions BNSF Logistics to better serve and take advantage of the "full range of opportunities" across the mining, civil engineering, oil and gas, renewable energy and power generation industries that are part of the industrial renaissance under way in many global economies, company officials said.
BNSF Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Burlington Northern Santa Fe L.L.C., which is owned by Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
Browse articles on BNSF Logistics L.L.C. on Progressive Railroading
- Operation Lifesaver Inc. starts new chapter with Joyce Rose at the helm
- Crude oil and intermodal will drive rail traffic for BNSF over the long term
- Metrolink's DePallo plans to build on progress, develop long-term strategy
- RailTrends 2012 represented a full deconstruction of the North American rail industry — by Tony Hatch
- CREATE update: Grade crossing upgrades, separations and closures
- TriMet's Portland-Milwaukie project will add vital link to southeast destinations
- Union Pacific opens information technology center in Austin
- Marcellus and Utica shale drilling keeps railroads busy
- Carload Express creates Ohio short line to tap two eastern shales
- Grade crossing safety: Freight and passenger railroads take a multi-pronged approach
- High-speed rail is on a slower, but steady, track: HNTB
- Material handling and distribution equipment update
- Santa Clara VTA aims for succession planning success with IT department pilot