In July 2011, the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) signed a grant agreement committing $178.6 million in New Starts funds, which represents 50 percent of the total project cost. The funds announced last week bring the agency's total allocations so far to $148.5 million in fiscal-year 2012 and prior-year New Starts funds, FTA officials said in a prepared statement.
The hospital station is one of 12 stations planned for the first phase of the 32-mile SunRail line. Rogoff visited the construction site to highlight the economic impact that investments in public transportation can create, he said in a press release. Construction on the line — which will parallel the Interstate 4 corridor in Orange, Seminole and Volusia counties — has put about 800 people to work and spurred a $250 million investment in a 176-acre "Health Village" at Florida Hospital, FTA officials said.
"President Obama is committed to making the necessary investments in our transportation infrastructure to grow our economy from the middle class outward and reduce our reliance on foreign oil," said Rogoff. "The SunRail commuter line will do just that by connecting residents from DeBary to Sand Lake Road with the jobs and services they need, while opening doors to new opportunities across Central Florida."
Browse articles on SunRail on Progressive Railroading
- Commuter-rail service from Providence to Boston gives a transit-oriented development its
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What are the key issues in 2013?
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What has been the biggest change during the past 10 years? What will the next big change be?
- How the 2012 election results could shape rail industry issues
- Amtrak, California High Speed Rail Authority partner to buy new trains
- Association makes big contributions to small railroad industry over the past century
- Q4 2012 review: Signs that 2013 will be one terrific bridge year for the rails- analysis by Tony Hatch
- Progressive Railroading's 2013 Finance & Leasing Guide - Preface
- Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Equipment Providers/Equipment Management Services - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Finance Companies - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Investment Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Lessors - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Professional Services/Consulting - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Oil boom will sustain the economy, rail-car leasing sector in 2013 - by Toby Kolstad
- How track work components in the 'special' category are holding up to heavier loads
- Railroads should use their strong safety culture as a foundation for improving service and productivity (commentary)
- New rail-car rule in Canada eyes emerging technologies