The feasibility study was initiated in August 2012 by CN and its partner La Caisse de dépót et placement du Québec, along with a group of six mining companies. The study had been progressing steadily over the past several months, but "current market realities have resulted in anticipated delays with mine development projects in and around the Labrador Trough," CN officials said in a prepared statement.
A joint review of the project with the mining companies indicated that mine construction schedules and diverging needs for each specific individual project would make it difficult to obtain the volumes of iron ore necessary to support the project, they said. A decision by some miners in the region not to join the group of mining companies supporting the project also was a factor.
"We have invested considerable effort and resources towards the feasibility study, but in light of the circumstances, CN has concluded that it is not advisable to continue with the feasibility study at this time," said Luc Jobin, CN's executive vice president and chief financial officer.
Browse articles on CN on Progressive Railroading
- Commuter-rail service from Providence to Boston gives a transit-oriented development its
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What are the key issues in 2013?
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What has been the biggest change during the past 10 years? What will the next big change be?
- How the 2012 election results could shape rail industry issues
- Amtrak, California High Speed Rail Authority partner to buy new trains
- Association makes big contributions to small railroad industry over the past century
- Q4 2012 review: Signs that 2013 will be one terrific bridge year for the rails- analysis by Tony Hatch
- Progressive Railroading's 2013 Finance & Leasing Guide - Preface
- Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Equipment Providers/Equipment Management Services - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Finance Companies - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Investment Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Lessors - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Professional Services/Consulting - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Oil boom will sustain the economy, rail-car leasing sector in 2013 - by Toby Kolstad
- How track work components in the 'special' category are holding up to heavier loads
- Railroads should use their strong safety culture as a foundation for improving service and productivity (commentary)
- New rail-car rule in Canada eyes emerging technologies