TwitterFacebookRSS Print Friendly and PDF

-
GE impressions

Rail News Leader - Progressive Railroading

become a membernewsletters signup


<< Rail News Home: Communication and Signal

11/28/2012


Rail News: Communication and Signal
Crossing improvements advance in Iowa, North Carolina



The Iowa Transportation Commission recently approved plans to install lights with gate arms at 24 grade crossings and perform circuitry upgrades at two crossings.

Engineering and planning for the projects will take place over the next year, with work scheduled to begin in 2014.

The state's Highway-Railroad Crossing Safety Program covers 90 percent of the cost to improve crossings, with the remaining 10 percent paid by a highway jurisdiction and/or railroad.

The commission also allocated funds for crossing closures and approved plans to improve surfaces at 12 crossings in 2014.

The state's Highway-Railroad Crossing Surface Repair Program supports efforts to maintain safe and smooth crossings. The program covers 60 percent of repair costs, with the associated railroad and highway jurisdiction each paying 20 percent.

Meanwhile, the North Carolina Department of Transportation's Rail Division recently completed safety improvements at two crossings near Norwood.

Division crews installed crossing signals and gates at the intersection of Mt. Zion Road and Winston Salem Southbound Railroad's (WSS) tracks, and the intersection of Cottonville Road and WSS tracks.

Ninety percent of the cost for both the Mt. Zion Road crossing (valued at $272,723) and Cottonville Road crossing (valued at $237,316) was covered by federal dollars, with the state providing the remainder. WSS and the state will split all maintenance costs.

More news items from 11/28/2012
Rail Industry Online Only Features
(past 30 days)

Keywords

Browse articles on Iowa Transportation Commission on Progressive Railroading



1

RAIL EMPLOYMENT


NEWSLETTERS SIGNUP

Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry





Share