CSXT will install flashing lights and gates at a crossing near Ridgeway. Work must be completed by Oct. 9, 2013.
MRTA will upgrade 8-inch flashing lights to 12-inch light-emitting diode (LED) flashing lights at two crossings in Akron. Work must be completed by Jan. 9, 2014.
Meanwhile, the city of Leitchfield, Ky., plans to close a crossing on Old Brandenburg Road Jan. 28.
Paducah & Louisville Railway Inc. officials had sought the closure because of the crossing's steep grade and poor visibility for motorists. The city plans to widen a road to provide motorists an alternate route.
Browse articles on Public Utilities Commission of Ohio on Progressive Railroading
- Operation Lifesaver Inc. starts new chapter with Joyce Rose at the helm
- Crude oil and intermodal will drive rail traffic for BNSF over the long term
- Metrolink's DePallo plans to build on progress, develop long-term strategy
- RailTrends 2012 represented a full deconstruction of the North American rail industry — by Tony Hatch
- CREATE update: Grade crossing upgrades, separations and closures
- TriMet's Portland-Milwaukie project will add vital link to southeast destinations
- Union Pacific opens information technology center in Austin
- Marcellus and Utica shale drilling keeps railroads busy
- Carload Express creates Ohio short line to tap two eastern shales
- Grade crossing safety: Freight and passenger railroads take a multi-pronged approach
- High-speed rail is on a slower, but steady, track: HNTB
- Material handling and distribution equipment update
- Santa Clara VTA aims for succession planning success with IT department pilot