Bobb has served as group vice president-coal business group since April 2006. He previously was general manager of BNSF's Texas Division, VP of business unit operations and support, group VP-agricultural products, VP-chemicals business unit, VP-minerals business unit and general director-chemicals business unit. Bobb also held various business analysis, planning and yield management positions after beginning his railroading career in 1987 with the Burlington Northern Railroad.
"Steve Bobb's experience throughout our business and strong leadership abilities have prepared him well to continue our marketing advances," said BNSF President and Chief Operating Officer Carl Ice in a prepared statement.
Lanigan joined BNSF in January 2003 as EVP and chief marketing officer. Prior to that, he was president and chief executive officer of Logistics.com Inc., and served Schneider National Inc. for 16 years in various positions, including president of the transportation sector and chief operating officer.
"John has led efforts that grew the company from $9 billion in revenue to our being on track for approximately $20 billion this year," said Ice.
Meanwhile, BNSF also named Steve Branscum group VP-coal business group to succeed Bobb and Katie Farmer, group VP-consumer products to succeed Branscum.
Prior to assuming his group VP-consumer products post in June 1999, Branscum was VP of intermodal marketing. His other previous roles include assistant VP of intermodal hub operations, AVP of intermodal equipment and hub operations, general director of intermodal equipment, and general director of intermodal planning and control.
Farmer most recently was VP of domestic intermodal. She previously was VP of sales-industrial products, AVP of carload equipment, general director of chemical products sales and director of plastics marketing. Farmer — who began her railroading career in 1992 as a Burlington Northern management trainee — also has held various other positions in sales and marketing, finance, customer solutions and network operations.
Browse articles on BNSF on Progressive Railroading
- Railroad safety, rail service the onus of Norfolk Southern's new dual-purpose committees
- Norfolk Southern seeks to improve railroad safety by cultivating a new safety culture
- A new safety culture at Norfolk Southern; RailTrends rescheduled
- Financial reports from Class I railroads in third quarter show resilience in the face of weak markets, soft economy
- Railroads tackle major bridge projects to replace worn-out structures, speed up trains and improve access to rail service
- Railroads rely on lightning protection equipment to protect increasingly sensitive wayside electronics
- Lift systems help railroads service and repair assets
- U.S. infrastructure spending a hot topic for analysis; plus, freight rail traffic data
- Santa, holiday trains deliver cheer, charity