The industrial development efforts led to rail equipment manufacturing projects in Fort Worth, Texas, and Rochelle, Ill., and 44 projects that will support the agricultural industry in 12 states, including 10 new grain shuttle facilities. It was a record year for economic development, BNSF officials said in a prepared statement.
"We broke our all-time job creation and project completion records, and attained the second-highest level of customer investment in our service territory," said Vann Cunningham, BNSF's assistant vice president of economic development. "This is a testament to the economic development potential of rail transportation, its growing importance to the nation's economy, and the commitment of our partner state and local economic development organizations to supporting rail-served industry investment and job creation in their communities."
Expanding oil and gas production at various shales continued to be a major driver of industrial development projects. Last year, the economic development team helped customers locate and complete five new crude oil unit train terminals in North Dakota and Montana, and several new destination crude oil facilities in Florida, Missouri, Texas and Washington. The total investments surpassed $300 million, BNSF officials said.
Browse articles on BNSF on Progressive Railroading
- Commuter-rail service from Providence to Boston gives a transit-oriented development its
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What are the key issues in 2013?
- Rail finance and leasing outlook: What has been the biggest change during the past 10 years? What will the next big change be?
- How the 2012 election results could shape rail industry issues
- Amtrak, California High Speed Rail Authority partner to buy new trains
- Association makes big contributions to small railroad industry over the past century
- Q4 2012 review: Signs that 2013 will be one terrific bridge year for the rails- analysis by Tony Hatch
- Progressive Railroading's 2013 Finance & Leasing Guide - Preface
- Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Equipment Providers/Equipment Management Services - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Finance Companies - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Investment Banks - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Lessors - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Professional Services/Consulting - Rail Finance & Leasing Guide 2013
- Oil boom will sustain the economy, rail-car leasing sector in 2013 - by Toby Kolstad
- How track work components in the 'special' category are holding up to heavier loads
- Railroads should use their strong safety culture as a foundation for improving service and productivity (commentary)
- New rail-car rule in Canada eyes emerging technologies